How to manage Milestones
The UQ Graduate School manages student performance by an annual appraisal process known as Milestones. In recognition that postgraduate training varies across Faculties and disciplines, enrolling units (Schools, Centers, Institutes) negotiate Milestone implementation plans with the UQ Graduate School on a case-by-case basis.
For details of the IMB implementation of Milestones visit:
In brief, IMB Milestones provide a mechanism for the annual appraisal of all IMB postgraduate candidates across the first 3 years of candidature, by those who are best placed to know - the Candidature Committee. To ensure that this process is both effective and fair, and to comply with the standards set by the UQ Graduate School, IMB requires that:
- Meet UQ Milestone deadlines.
- Meet IMB Milestone requirements.
- Plan Milestone events (ie negotiate date/time, book venue).
- Submit a Milestone Report (at least 1 week prior to the Milestone Interview).
- Deliver a Milestone Oral Presentation (ideally immediately prior to the Milestone Interview).
- Attend a Milestone Interview.
- Confirm that a candidate has met the UQ Milestone deadline.
- Confirm that a candidate has met the IMB Milestone requirements.
- Review the Milestone Report.
- Review the Milestone Oral Presentation.
- Perform an in-depth Milestone Interview.
- Based on all of the above decide if a candidate has attained/not attained the Milestone.
- Submit a Milestone Assessment.
Every effort has been made to streamline and simplify the IMB Milestone process, including moving much of the administration online (via Pebbles Senior for staff, Pebbles Junior for students, and Pebbles Office for the IMB PG Office staff). The Candidature Committee and candidate are encouraged to approach Milestones in a positive and constructive fashion. Generous latitude has been engineered into the IMB Milestone system, more than enough to minimize the administrative burden while simultaneously ensuring that all stakeholders are held accountable.
If you have any queries about the process please feel free to raise these in person with the IMB Postgraduate Coordinator.