How do I apply to be an IMB postgraduate candidate?
A likely application sequence, from first contact to acceptance, is outlined as follows (this sequence may vary from person to person).
- You review IMB Lab Heads and the IMB Research Training Brochure.
- You contact an IMB Lab Head, to convince them to support your application.
- The IMB Lab Head reviews your request, possibly requesting further details via an IMB EOI, and/or a face-to-face (Skype?) meeting.
- The IMB Lab Head declines to support your application (the application process ends here), OR
- The IMB Lab Head agrees to support your application.
- You and the IMB Lab Head agree on a suitable research project.
- You download and complete an IMB Postgraduate Research Project (IMB PRP) form, and forward this to the IMB Lab Head.
- The IMB Lab Head forwards all your details, including an IMB EOI (if available) and the IMB PRP, to the IMB PG Office (via an online nomination system - Pebbles Senior).
- The IMB PG Office contacts you to assist in the application, outlining the process for provision of referee reports.1
- You lodge a UQ Graduate School online application (OLA).2
What happens next?
- The UQ Graduate School receives your OLA and forwards it to the IMB PG Office.
- If the IMB PG Office has received an internal nomination on your behalf, we will prepare and forward a School Recommendation to the UQ Graduate School, together with the IMB PRP.
- If the IMB PG Office has NOT received an internal nomination on your behalf, we will advise that you review, contact and negotiate with an IMB Group Leader.2
- Once received, the UQ Graduate School will review your OLA and School Recommendation, and if you are successful they will make a Conditional/Unconditional offer.
- An Unconditional offer means that you are eligible to take up a postgraduate place immediately, however, whether you can take up a place in practice is most often dependent on how competitive you are for scholarships. Be aware that some scholarships, and ALL visas, are conditional on commencing by a set date.3
- A Conditional offer means the UQ Graduate School accepts your application in principle, but requires that you upgrade some aspect (e.g. English language) before they upgrade the offer to Unconditional.
Congratulations - If you are successful in commencing postgraduate studies at IMB we welcome you onboard and that trust you will have an exciting and enjoyable training experience.
Commiserations - If you are not successful in your application to IMB, but are intent on postgraduate training, please do not be discouraged. The reality is that while IMB Lab Heads are approached by many exceptionally talented and qualified postgraduate applicants from all over the World, their capacity to take on all these applicants is limited by the need to manage demands on lab and office space, as well as specialist equipment, facilities and other critical infrastructure - to maintain the best possible research training environment. In addition, IMB Lab Heads are further limited by the availability of suitable postgraduate scholarships. Collectively, these constraints mean that many very capable postgraduate applicants are not accepted into IMB. Should you be one of these applicants we encourage you to continue to pursue your interests in postgraduate training, and trust that you will secure a suitable postgraduate training position elsewhere.
1 It is important that great care is taken in supplying all requested documents in a timely and appropriate manner, and in selecting referees that are experienced in tertiary education and postgraduate training (i.e. no research students or teaching assistants), have first hand knowledge of your academic and research ability, and who are not conflicted in any way (i.e. no relatives). Referees must justify any claims, for example if they say you are a brilliant experimentalist, they should give evidence to substantiate this claim.
2 Our preference is to not submit the OLA until an IMB Group Leader has completed an internal IMB nomination. If you do elect to submit an OLA prior to IMB nomination, the UQ Graduate School will forward the OLA to the IMB Postgraduate Office and we will advise that you review, contact and negotiate with an IMB Group Leader as outlined above.
3 Although the UQ Graduate School does not request them at the time of application (OLA), IMB requires that all successful applicants provide hard copies of original and/or certified documents of all transcripts and conferral documentation at the time of commencement.